May 26, 2009

Wildlife

This summer part of my job is to photograph the wildlife. Shooting photos this past week of moose, caribou, lynx, dall sheep and yes, grizzlies has made me really appreciate wildlife photographers. The problem for me hasn't been finding the animals, (I've seen about a dozen grizzly bears) but composing decent images. How do you compose a shot when you aren't allowed to approach any wildlife? The minimum viewing distance for a bear is a quarter mile. All of my shots so far have been out the car window... and it's been pretty much simply taking whatever angle the animal will give me rather than composing images. I'm looking forward to photographing people where there is no viewing distance at least for most of us. Maybe Obama has one.

And don't worry, I will get around to posting the rest of my animal images soon.

No comments: