June 6, 2009

The Yawning Wolf

Yesterday Jay and I headed "out West" down the park road to put up bulletin boards and to give me a chance to get some shooting done for the "Rules of the Road" video coming up. It was a long haul, but we made it down the entire length of the road, all 93 miles. Last night we stayed at Toklat, a NPS camp at mile 56 for the West District folks who work at the visitor center at mile 60-something.

Just before getting into Toklat we came across a section of road where wolves usually den. Jay was hopeful that a wolf would show himself, but I wasn't holding my breath as the dens were across the valley. If anything could seen, it would be a speck. So we drove into a pullout and stopped the car gazing longingly into the valley below, just then Jay made an exclamation, and I looked forward. Right in front of the car, about 20 feet away, was a wolf.... sleeping. Funny how things work out. And I know, I know, ANOTHER animal photo... apologies.

No comments: