March 24, 2009

Gambian Refugee Journalist

These are some of the first images from a story I've been working on the past few weeks. There is much more to this story than what is in the photos right now. I hope to fill in the gaps these next several weeks. Let me know what you think.

Gambian refugee Musa Saidykhan fled his country after being arrested, tortured, and repeatedly followed by the government for his journalism. Now in his third month in the United States, he is working hard to provide for his family and begin a new life.










3 comments:

Alexander Stawinski said...

Neil--
This story looks promising! Keep it up! I want to see more.
-Alex

Nicky said...

These photos are beautiful Neil. I think this story has TONS of potential. The one thing I really don't see a whole lot of yet is what makes this guy different. How is his life different from any other journalist? I think the photo of him serving food is a perfect photo for that purpose. I can see that being VERY hard to show and honestly I couldn't tell you how to show that without knowing him. I do, however, know that you can do it and make it happen, because you are an amazing photojournalist. What Alex said, keep it up and show us along the way!!!

Nicky said...

And also the last one. Is great. And is different. And well shot. Sorry had to look at it again.